The congregation continued to grow. By 1899, the Vestry envisioned a larger sanctuary that could accommodate 500 or more people. The cost, however, was beyond the means of such a young church.
A progressive philanthropist named Grace Arents (the niece of Lewis Ginter) had taken an interest in the Oregon Hill community. In 1894, she founded St. Andrew’s School and the city’s first free kindergarten to serve the working class neighborhood. A series of other community “firsts” resulted from her generosity: the first night school for working boys and girls; Richmond’s first free library (now the William Byrd Community House and library); the first school for the deaf; a sewing school; and the first home of the Visiting Nurses Association.
In addition to her dedicated support of education, Grace Arents took St. Andrew’s Church under her wing. She donated a large sum of money for construction of the new church and also assumed oversight of its financial administration and construction. Work on the new church began in January 1901 and was completed two years later. Grace Arents also constructed a new school building next to the new church. The turn-of-the-century Gothic Revival structures are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Though the school is independently governed, the rector of St. Andrew’s Church serves as the chaplain of St. Andrew’s School and the congregation has two seats on the school’s Board of Directors. The Church continues to support the school financially.Today, the church, St. Andrew’s School and the William Byrd Community Center each operate independently but share complementary missions and work together in support of the community.
Click to find St. Andrew's on the Historic Register.